From Chair Soaring to the Future (S2F)
Welcome to the Future!!
I have been completely overwhelmed by the huge positive response to our new initiative – launched at the AGM. I have been fielding, contacts from members and clubs all around the country every day since the launch. I am really excited by the response particularly by the large number of younger members that have contacted me and offered to help. It does seem that many members are ready to embrace change, and that the Standardise, Modernise, Prioritise emphasis of S2F has struck a chord with many members.
Since the AGM and launch we have been busy finalising details of the new GFA Family and Flying Family membership which will be launched later this week. This is an Executive initiative (not S2F) but I include it here as it is aimed to increase participation and aligns with S2F philosophy. It is designed to provide a natural progression for new family members to become more involved at their local club and for some to begin to learn to fly and to become pilots.
This initiative was launched at the AGM. We have set up an S2F Forum. Tell your friends to send an email to S2F@glidingaustralia.org if they would like to join.
We have a number of volunteers and going forwards we will need more to be part of our Focus groups to provide feedback on various sections of the initiative.
The new website also has an FAQ page which addresses the questions I am most often asked.
Since the AGM our efforts have been directed to;
- Draft a list of minimum club requirements for S2F approval
- Identify gaps in Instructor and Coach training and define a syllabus to address
- Working on updating information currently held by our database around club facilities
- Set up S2F Forum for interested members
- Create a News section/blog on the discover soaring website https://discoversoaring.com.au/index.php/news/
- Develop details of the pathway for Post Solo Training
- Define a pathway for How to become a coach
- Develop a pathway for Junior club approval
- Develop a pathway for AAFC pilots to integrate into civilian clubs
- Setting up a committee to look into available and currently used IT solutions
Once we have finalised the minimum club requirements and have a draft syllabus to publish we will begin to audition clubs who wish to be a part of the first pilot roll out. This will involve signing a legal document with specific undertakings in regards to how the club will operate in return for GFA S2F approval and support. I have already received several contacts from clubs asking to be involved and they are noted. It is our intention to select a variety of types of club for the pilot eg Winch, Aerotow, Rural, with AAFC, over 100 members, less than 50 members etc. So if you are not selected for the pilot please don’t take it personally!! Once the pilot is rolled out interested clubs can come along and do things to make themselves S2F ready so that once we have a stable model to roll out to all clubs can come on board quickly.
As an impatient person I am bemused to see myself typing please be patient!
We are moving along at a quick pace but things must be done properly. Watch this space.
We have an S2F committee meeting on 12th September and I will report back on decisions made after that meeting.